Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Morgan: Say Hello to my little friend! Competition!

Competitiveness is the new buzzword in Washington, DC. Many public and private
leaders proclaim that the United States faces a new and formidable competitiveness
challenge. Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats unveiled their Innovation Agenda in late 2005. President Bush announced his American Competitiveness Initiative in the 2006 State of the Union Address. And Congress has introduced several major legislative packages addressing competitiveness.

Yes, my friend and Sister twice removed, "UNNAMED ONE" has a little competitiveness streak. Me on the other hand, low-key, happy go-lucky jackball am content with my lot in life. Not! Yes it's true I have egged her on in the past with acts of physical prowess, strength and speed. But it was for a purpose to make her stronger, yes I had an hidden agenda. Well I really didn't have to do much as she was one of the most competitive people I have ever met.



Lets clarify what competition means to me. I have heard some people speak disparagingly against competitiveness like it was a personality flaw. It's not...these people are LOSERS. I embrace competition so that I can improve myself. Each year the American people spend 115 million dollars on self-help books and aids, when I have the secret right here. Compete. I compete with myself first and foremost. I guess it started years ago with long distance running, and carried over to the Pedometer challenge, and my most recent goal of hiking the Appalachian trail. When the body starts to age and slow down I continually adjust the competition or seek new challenges like Poker, X-box or commuting on the beltway. Illustration Friday is a competition with myself, manipulating traffic to my blog site and blogging is a competition...not with "UNNAMED ONE", but with myself...maybe I am a little sick.


My class graduated yesterday and I announced, with much fanfare, the debut of Combat Scribblers. I explained the "competition" loosely disguised as a showcase of talent. The students stared blankly back at me...I could hear the distinctive chirping of crickets....
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

No comments: