Sunday, March 30, 2008

Morgan: Grecian Perspective

I've been thinking for weeks on how I could write about our adventures in Greece. Its hard to describe but our trip had a profound effect on me on many levels. Most people who travel to Greece are impressed by how old their ancient civilization is. However the opposite happened to me. I took along Carl Sagan's Cosmos to read on the plane and bus and before bed. It was an interesting coincidence that part of the book explored the discovery of Science on the the Grecian Isle of Io. The book is really great even though it was written 28 years ago. In its descriptions of the formation of stars and planets, which happened "billions and billions" of years ago I wouldn't say I had an epiphany but was very close to understanding how young humankind really is. Which was an odd perspective considering I was standing in the cradle of western civilization.


Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
US astronomer & popularizer of astronomy (1934 - 1996)

I really did enjoy traveling with my wife and watching her learn and be awed by the the historical sites we visited. Ok I was impressed also. Our favorite place had to be Delphi situated in the mountains above the Sea of Olives. The temperature was perfect, cool and sunny as we climbed the mountain to the oracle of Delphi. There were not a lot of people that morning and as the sun finally peeked over the mountains, I could see past the ruins in front of us, back through time. I could see the temples and monuments as they used to be. I could see people gathering in the amphitheater to watch a play or hear a concert. Occupation of the site at Delphi can be traced back to the Neolithic period with extensive occupation and use beginning in the Mycenaean period (1600-1100 B.C). Most of the ruins that survive today date from the most intense period of activity at the site in the 6th century BC. Yeah, that means old!

I began thinking of how young we were as technological society. And how much we are changing the planet with our toxic emissions and consumption of resources. I began to wonder how much longer can we exist as technological adolescents, will we survive to maturity? or cause our own demise. These issues and questions are so much bigger than one man...or are they? Maybe I can recycle more, consume less, conserve energy.

Finally I just want to say what a joy it is to travel with my wife. To take a break from the everyday grind of life and do something so different is rejuvenating to the spirit and refreshing for the mind. Exploration of new cultures and ancient societies gives us an appreciation of where we came from and what we have. Our Greek adventure didn't change my perspective...It just gave me a new lense to peer through.

1 comment:

our girl said...

i so cant get over your pics. you were actually there! you walked it! that is inspiring.

i gots to save up my money.