Thursday, March 13, 2008

OurGirl: His and Her Great Cinematic Speeches

with rhino supertramping across greece, my husband—the irish king—graciously agreed to fill in. i work best with a blog muse. plus, this gets him out of the pruning post he is supposed to be working on for our vineyard blog, so he's happy to oblige.

ever since boy1 displayed his formidable laser-like intensity and indomitable will, the irish king has looked at his progeny and quoted theatrically:
....Well, one man came close. Went by the name of Homer. Seven feet tall, he was, with arms like tree trunks, and eyes like steel: cold and hard. Had a shock of hair. Red, like the fires of Hell.
so much for cinematic speeches. he just told me that was from the simpsons.

whatever.

his vote: quint's indianapolis speech from jaws:
so, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men came out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
her vote: octavian's marc anthony is dead speech, cleopatra
Antony is dead? You say that as if it were an everyday occurence. The soup is hot, the soup is cold. Antony is alive, Antony is dead."
his vote: office space, the bobs:
Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
Bob Slydell: Eight?
Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.
her favorite: jerry maguire, this used to be my specialty:

Jerry: Hello. I’m looking for my wife.

Dorothy: Wait…

Jerry: If this is where it has to happen, then this is where it has to happen. I’m not letting you get rid of me. How about that?

[beat]

Jerry: This used to be my specialty. I was good in a living room. And now, I just… Tonight… our little company had a very big night. A very, very big night. But it wasn’t complete. It wasn’t nearly close to being complete. Because I couldn’t share it with you. I couldn’t hear your voice. I couldn’t laugh about it with you. I missed my wife. We live in a cynical world. And we work in a business of tough competitors. I love you. You… complete me. And I just…

Dorothy: Shut up! You had me at “hello”. You had me at “hello”.

his n' her favorites: glengarry glen ross:
A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing.

Put. That coffee. Down.
[pause]
Coffee's for closers only.

1 comment:

Jeffrey Morgan said...

Im a little more simple minded...
Say these quotes with your best Ahnnold impersonation.

1. Hasta la vista Baby
2. C'mon Get to the chopper!
3. I'll be Back.
4. Get your ass to Mars.
5. Stick Around!