Wednesday, April 2, 2008

OurGirl: Notes From a Far Away Place

no, i don't have anything to compare to rhino's quest for the primordial bellybutton of humanity and existence. i'm just kickin' back and enjoying that ride.

i have been having some larger than thou experiences, so i get what he's been talking about. mine are just of a smaller, more olfactory nature. smells are a powerful thing. each one of my boys had their own unique baby odor. im certain i could have picked my baby out of a crowd blind-folded.

my recent smell-experience made me weep.
[men, feel free to leave NOW]

the moment the top note odor hit my passages, i was transported back to being a child, in my paternal grandma's kitchen. yeh, proust covered involuntary memory, first. i know. but i was on my laptop, the smell hit me and suddenly i was profoundly grateful that my husband sent me back to my primordial bellybutton, my grandparents, both now gone.

and it may have been the flu i've been battling that makes me a little weepy, but even the flu struck an involuntary memory chord. what adult, in the grips of the dreaded flu, does not long for their mother's cool hand brushing back their hair? or the kisses that desire for nothing but for you to be well again? did your mother wipe your face with a cool cloth? those things were paramount in my adult mind, tuesday, as i shivered under my think goose-down comforter, waiting out the bug. being an adult can be miserable. my new toast: may you always have a comforting hand at your most ill. ok. i need to work on that. but you get my point.

for those still with me, here's the recipe to making your kitchen smell like my grandma's:

saute onion and garlic in a little oil
add something, anything, meaty.

then, peel and slice a cucumber.
for added authenticity, sprinkle vinegar over the cucumber.


want to play proust yourself? take this survey i found here.

1 comment:

Jeffrey Morgan said...

get well soon I hate it when your sick at work...It was Rosey's fault, I told you to disinfect your phone!