Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Exploration and Discovery

I believe the inquisitive mind is the elixir of youth. To bad I didn't realize this until midlife. I truly enjoy learning from people, experiences, and through my reading. Today at work a friend of mine, came by the cubicle. He saw what I was working on and made a few alternate suggestions on how to accomplish what I was trying to do. I'm not proud of my first response, which was to immediately go on the defensive and shut him out as a know-it-all, meddler. But I checked myself and quickly realized I needed to listen to his advise. Here was a true friend willing to share his knowledge and I almost blew it. I apologized and encouraged him to continue. 30 seconds of collaboration and my project looked 1000% better.

Its easy to become complacent in my daily routine. Get up, shower, schlep to work, go home and repeat the next day. Boring? I try to keep it lively, but all work and no play makes Morgan a dull boy! Thats why this vacation to Greece with my wife means so much to me. We are going on a great adventure to one of oldest civilizations in the world. We are embarking on a voyage of exploration and discovery. Of what? I don't know, but I'll share it with you when I find it.

We do not ask for what useful purpose the birds do sing, for song is their pleasure since they were created for singing. Similarly, we ought not ask why the human mind troubles to fathom the secrets of the heavens...The diversity of the phenomena of nature is so great, and the treasures hidden in the heavens so rich, precisely in order that the human mind shall never be lacking in fresh nourishment.
-- Johannes Kepler, Mysterium Cosmographicum

1 comment:

our girl said...

morgie, i wave my kerchief in your direction—bye, bye, dear! have a safe trip! wear clean underwear, take many pictures and blog when you can![tell me you went to michaels and bought that plastic rhino.]

we'll keep the home fires burning for you until you get back...or leave the light on...but then we'd be motel 6.

καλή τύχη
sissy