Saturday, April 12, 2008

Morgan: Rhino Trek

What does a Rhino, an Iphone, a Canon Powershot SD400 and Macromedia Fireworks have in common?

Why the debut of the much anticipated, light hearted and whimsical travel blog Rhino Trek!

Before my trip to Greece, Byrne suggested that I take along my spirit guide and photograph him in exotic locales. Byrne always has good ideas...but the whole expedition almost never happened.
Weeks before the trip, I looked all over the Morgan household for my little friend. I fear that he met with an untimely demise. I was appalled, how could I have misplaced my battle standard before the big soirée? The weekend before the flight I went searching for a replacement Rhino. I went to Toy's R Us...but that was a dead end. "Do you have a rhino?" the blank look on the haggard employees face gave me the answer. Nooooo! I finally found Rhino V2.0 at Target. Yes! they have a whole aisle dedicated to Rhino fans and their assorted paraphernalia...who knew?

I put the little Rhino in my backpack and we flew to Greece. I forgot all about him. I was preoccupied with everything around me the sights, smells and food. The history, monuments and temples. Rhino almost never made it out of the backpack. Then one evening my wife was digging through the pack, probably repacking in her never ceasing workaholic frenzy. When she pulled out the Rhino and said, "What's this?"
"uhhh thats my Rhino", as I tried explaining the ambitious concept to her. She looked at me with raised eyebrows.

The next day I carried the Rhino in my pocket, looking for the perfect photo opportunity. When the moment came I was surprised to find I was a little embarrassed. Here I was a grown man on a tour of historical Greece and I was pulling a Rhino out of my pants to photograph. The majority of our fellow tourist looked at me with raised eyebrows. I shrugged my shoulders. How could I explain this?

For the next couple of days I would discreetly photograph my Rhino when no one was around. On the final day before departure, we traveled up to the Acropolis. It was a beautiful day, sunny yet not to hot and very crowded. I took all the obligatory normal photos, dreading the moment when I knew I would have to release the Rhino for his portrait.
"C'mon lets go! I've had enough of rubble, lets go shopping!" My wife declared.
"uhhhh wait a minute I need to take one more shot."
Swallowing my pride I stoically remove the Rhino from my pocket and marched down past throngs of tourists from all over the world. And with my back to them I couched down next to a block of marble, carefully positioned the Rhino just so. Bent down even further, I think my ass was higher than my head and took the perfect photo. When I turned around hundreds of tourists were staring at me, with raised eyebrows.

3 comments:

our girl said...

HHHHOOOOOORRRRAAAAYYYY!

better than i ever thought. sorry about the embarrassment factor, although embarrassment is certainly not a factor for you!

you need to dig into google maps and plot out the RHINOtrek. and then post it to your blog so everyone can see it.

rhino2.0!

thank you, thank you. it was worth the wait.

Mr. Andy said...

very enjoyable. i look forward to the rhino adventures....

Jeffrey Morgan said...

Thanks Andy that means alot...what I don't know