Sunday, July 1, 2007

Morgan: Heroes

I’ve known my Sis is ga-ga for Anthony Bourdain for some time. She made me watch all his re-runs and read his autobiography…twice. I don’t have nothing against Tony...He’s cool and looks like a fun cat. (Forrest Gump voice…but he smelled like cigarettes)

But It made me start to think of who, do we like, follow, or stalk and why?

Heroes, celebrity worship, someone you admire…Someone you want to emulate.
This used to be strictly the domain of the Church, people want to be more like Jesus, but in today’s secular society, people choose other heroes…And sometimes they choose the wrong ones. Can you imagine how distraught WWE Fan’s of Chris Benoit’s are today? This week Chris’s body along with his slain family was found by Georgia Police. He “allegedly” killed his family and than committed suicide. They had chose him as their hero, they thought he was superhuman…they chose poorly. The list of poor heroes is long and depressing. Not all of them are bad, everyone has a hero…I tried to think of some of mine. I blush now when I think of my first hero…and no I’m not gay. Arnold. I used to have such an infatuation with all things Arnold. I watched all his movies, I quoted him, impersonated him. I read his bodybuilding articles like they were the gospels. I admired his business instincts…OK I still do. I admired Arnold.

My Second Hero? I would have to pick my wife. Words aren’t enough….

Third Hero? I’m surrounded by them everyday, the men and women of the United States Armed Forces. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. As I get closer towards retirement I become increasingly aware of how much I will miss working with these people. The military is truly a cross section of our national DNA. From all walks of life, from the cornfields of Illinois to the Gulf of Mexico, they come to serve their nation. And here at the Defense Information School we have the crème d’ la crème. I often wonder how I ended up here. But I’m a better person, just by surrounding myself with excellence. It’s bound to rub off! The hard thing is…I can see I’m an example for these young students, good or bad I can see them watching me, assessing my actions, and sometime emulating them. I do my best.

MENU

And if 3 lbs of calamari leaves you, wanting more, try Five Guys.
Five Guy's has been voted "Best Burgers" for the past five years in Washingtonian Magazine, were rated number one "Bang for the Buck" in Zagat Survey and The Washington Post calls them "the Willy Wonkas of burgercraft." In addition, since expanding outside of the DC Metro area, Five Guys has won the Annapolis Magazine's reader poll for Best Fries, Richmond City Magazine's reader's choice for Best Burger and the Fredericksburg Star's Simply the Best Award for Best Burger. mmmmm!

I'm holding out for a hero til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero

1 comment:

our girl said...

i'm holding out for a mustang
i need a mustang to pick me
up to go to five guys
its gotta be v8
its gotta be grey
its gotta go rumbling by...

i miss the cinco hombres on friday with dubs and u.