Monday, June 25, 2007

OurGirl: Walking El Camino

The image “http://webpages.marshall.edu/~alonso/scallop4s.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Santiago de Compostela. Saint james of the field of stars. its the capital of galicia in nw spain and the destination of the medieval pilgrimage, camino de santiago, the way of st. james. when my brother posts about his latest appalachian adventure, it makes me think of that 6 week vacation i'd like to take, walking the way of st. james.

over 100,000 pilgrims make the pilgrimage on foot, bike, donkey or horseback. they collect stamps in a passport from the towns they pass along the route and claim their certificate at the end.

here is a webcam of the santiago cathedral square. pilgrims arrive at all times of the day.
also, there is a pretty interesting web site featuring the main route, Camino Fances
looks pretty sweet.

one day, when i'm a robust old lady, i'm gonna walk the el camino, complete with a scallop 'round my neck. until then, i walk a pilgrimage daily in my head and try to keep up with the lessons that are handed to me.

5 comments:

Jeffrey Morgan said...

I would love to walk the El Camino some day. I really liked that blog...How long did it take for her to finish? Sorry I jumped topics with no transition...The Raj was outa my league!

our girl said...

we should walk it together. my husband isnt interested. he'd rather sit in a taverna sipping wine and waiting for our arrival. even if it takes the full six weeks, he says he can manage it to fulfill our dream. knowing you and me, we'd get into a race and finish it in 5 weeks, 20 pounds lighter. my husband would then make us wait until he finished that sixth week of sipping wine.

wanna go?

Mr. Andy said...

morgan will probably sprint the last 100 yards, leaving connie in the dust... tee-hee :) -andy

our girl said...

yeh, but then he would pull that hammy again and lurch and clutch--ooh! heh. the good old days....

Jeffrey Morgan said...

Hammy still occasionally raises its ugly head and reminds me of my mortality. Damn Virginia Hammy!