Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Morgan: It is finished...


Morgan(left) in basic training, Lackland AFB, Texas--Dec 1986

Usually cool and unflappable, I started having a mini-meltdown last night. Everything I did or saw was accompanied by the thought..."well that's the last time you do that in the Air Force"...Ahhhhh my hair is on fire! I think it was lack of sleep that drove me to the brink of madness. I've been laying awake at night thinking of the future and looking back, looking back. I feel as if I'm walking to Final Council by myself and pausing every few feet to pay homage to my fallen comrades who have been voted off the Island prematurely. I don't want to feel like this...this should be a time of joy. This morning I drove to work and out processed with DINFOS in about two hours. I met with the Commadant, who thanked me for "what-not" and gave me a coin, than I met with the Command Sergeant Major who did the same. Around 11:30 I told the class to go to lunch and that I would be taking a long lunch also...They knew what I meant as my box of crap was sitting on my desk...I choked up momentarily. I then took the long walk to my car by myself.

1 comment:

our girl said...

oh, this sounds really sad. there wasn't a joyous send off like what we gave you? none of your students jumped up on their desks shouting "O Captain, my Captain?"

did you at least peel out of there in your sweet mustang?